Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Is it Possible to Know God's Will for your Life?

Romans 12:2
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will."

You absolutely can KNOW God's will for your life.   God has a good, pleasing and perfect will for your life - regardless of where you find yourself today.  Regardless of what may have happened in your life circumstances over the last few years.  Regardless of  poor past decisions.  If you belong to Him, God has a purpose for your life - a good purpose.  (If you don't belong to Him, His first purpose for you is to come to know His Son Jesus as Savior.)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11 

I love that verse.  It's one of my favorites.  Yet allow my eastern North Carolina roots tell you with GREAT certainty, "you ain't gonna know God's will for you life apart from spending time with Him."

The Bible says we can never know God's will for our lives unless we are renewing your mind each day.  For me, I need to renew my mind several times a day. 

What does renewing your mind mean? 

It means turning off the TV, getting off Facebook, getting off email; putting your iPhone or your ipad down or anything else that pulls for your attention and spend time in God's Word.   

Then read it with purpose in mind.  Read it with your circumstances in mind. 

Yesterday, I shared how God used hard places to shape me for the purposes for which I was created.  Remember, I mentioned my morning quiet time, the day after feeling overwhelmed with dirty diapers.  That morning, "life purpose" wasn't on my mind - nor were dirty diapers...  But it was on God's mind.

As I read my devotional that day and asked the Holy Spirit to speak - to help me to understand the Scriptures - HE quickened my heart and caused me to take heed to what I was reading.  He brought to my memory the day before and my exasperated cry to Him.  This is what it means to have our mind renewed.  Renewed with His purposes and His plans for our life.

ALSO, I keep "spiritual vitamins" a.k.a. devotionals -  everywhere in my house, so when I get a free moment during the day, I'll take a quick vitamin.  I have them in my car; in the bathroom; beside my bed, etc...  These little tools help me to "renew my mind."    They help me "not be conformed to the pattern of this world."   I keep teaching CD's from some of my favorite speakers in my car.  This too helps me renew my mind.  (FYI: Spiritual vitamins are not a quiet time.  They simply reinforce what you gleaned in your quiet time.)

So... is it possible to know God's good, perfect and pleasing will for your life?  Absolutely.  Yet here's the hard part...

When God reveals His will - it's up to us to believe Him.  It's up to us to follow through with real obedience...  DESPITE our circumstances -

Related Resources:  
Intimacy with God, Your Daily Guide to Prayer, Prayer Journal, Tara Furman
Intimacy with God, Establishing a Vibrant Quiet Time and Prayer Time, Tara Furman

If you have been impacted by KGM... if we are "feeding you spiritually" in any way, please consider a:
  1. Monthly partnership - we have the capacity for bank withdrawals that can be suspended at any time. or a
  2. One-time tax deductible donation
Your financial support either through resources or contributions helps us continue life-changing ministry.  No amount is too small and so appreciated. 

Send to:
Knowing God Ministries
115 Overview Lane
Cary, NC 27511

1 comment:

  1. Tara,
    Thanks for your posts...exactly what I am needing to hear. Thank you for your obedience to our Lord.
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete